Monday, November 17, 2008

More on Mission (im)Possible

The image “http://www.whatkidscando.org/featurestories/2008/03_scoring_well/images/header.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Over at the Chalkboard, my friend Debora chimed in and wrote:

I think that it is harder to teach in some schools.. would you prefer to teach at a low income school for same money? I think that the science, math and English teachers are the hardest to find in any climate at any time, perhaps just those?

Here's the flip-side...what about teachers who are new and qualified and ready to go into the classroom (even so-called GCS Mission Possible schools) but seemingly are passed up...either by more tenured teachers or teachers that have successful EOG/EOC scores?

Case in point...and I'm putting in a good word for my sister-in-law; she's math certified in middle/high school, with two math degrees from Greensboro College, who student-taught at Grimsley, Andrews, Dudley and Smith, who WANTS to work at a MP-school...and has not been hired yet. She's been looking for a math position for two years now, and is continuously passed up downtown.

Now I know our national economy is bad, and I know our local economy is worse, but when we have qualified, certified math teachers out of work--and looking for work, something's wrong.

E.C. :)

No comments: