Friday, May 29, 2009

Another view of the budget crisis

The image “http://web.mac.com/purple_pawville/Pawville/About_Mr._Andrews_files/shapeimage_7.png” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. From Neal Andrews, 5th grade teacher, Northern Guilford Elementary School, via this week's N&R:

I was embarrassed by the actions of public educators who demonstrated in the streets of Raleigh May 16 in protest of Gov. Perdue's mandate that all state employees will have 0.5 percent of their annual salaries withheld from their May paychecks. Their protest revealed they are completely out of touch with what is happening to many around us.

I respect their constitutional right to voice their feelings. However, I want the taxpaying public to know those educators do not represent all public school teachers in North Carolina and certainly not me.

I don't have to look any further than the parents of students in my classroom, folks in my neighborhood, or at close friends to see that we are in an economic downturn like none we've ever seen or experienced. Many who have lost their jobs and benefits would likely have taken 20 percent pay cuts just to remain employed.

As public servants of the taxpayers of North Carolina, we must be responsible and do our part to help solve the economic crisis. I urge fellow public educators to examine our local and state budgets and with equal fervor protest wasteful pork spending that has passed in recent state budgets.

Neal C. Andrews
Browns Summit

The writer is a fifth-grade teacher at Northern Elementary.

****************************

E.C. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Andrews can teach my kids any day. Finally, someone with a brain speaks out.